I may have been slightly apprehensive and maybe even a little confused when we first decided to do a recipe on lemon curd. Mostly because I wasn't entirely sure what it was, but I am officially a lemon curd convert. This stuff is bananas good, or should I say lemony good!! It's citrusy and sweet and SO versatile! It can go on just about anything from pound cake to waffles to muffins and probably more! Also, little did I know you can make a _____ curd of just about any fruit! I was most compelled with the idea of a grapefruit curd, something I will definitely be trying out in the summer! Let me know your thoughts and any other great ideas that I can use to put this heavenly goodness on! Recipe after the photos! xx sarah
5 egg yolks
1 cup lemon juice (preferably fresh squeezed!)
1 cup sugar
1 lb butter, liquified
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together eggs, sugar and lemon juice until thoroughly combined.
- Prep for next step by bringing water in a medium sized saucepan to a simmer, making sure the saucepan is big enough to hold the bowl.
- Over medium heat, place the mixing bowl into the simmering water (do not dump contents of mixing bowl into saucepan).
- Continue whisking until the mixture starts to thicken and resembles a hollandaise sauce.
- Once mixture has finished cooking, take the bowl off the heat and whisk in the butter.
- Cover and place in refrigerator to cool, should last about a week and a half!